A reliable virtual private network can enhance your gaming experience and let you access geo-restricted content with high performance. A VPN will also protect you from potential hackers by hiding your IP and it also lets you establish a connection with no ISP throttling.
NordVPN works very well on PlayStations as it provides a fast and very secure network to its users. While using a mobile device or a desktop, you just have to install an app to use the VPN. Whereas, PlayStation Store doesn’t have any VPN apps. So, to set upNordVPN on a PlayStation, you have three options:
- Use NordVPN’s Smart DNS feature
- Connect your PlayStation to the internet through your PC
- Install NordVPN on your router
Setting up NordVPN using Smart DNS
Smart DNS of NordVPN is the easiest way to get a working VPN on your PlayStation. You don’t have to install software for it. You just have to reroute connection requests through the DNS servers of NordVPN instead of ISP’s.
This step makes it seem as if the user is located in a different region and therefore lets you access features that aren’t available in your countries such as censored websites and international streaming libraries.
Follow the instructions below to set up NordVPN on your PlayStation using Smart DNS:
- Create a NordVPN account.
- Identify your public IP address.
- Give your IP address to NordVPN.
- Go to setting on your PlayStation.
- Go to ‘Network’ > ‘Settings’ > ‘DNS Settings’ > ‘Manual’.
- Change the primary DNS to 18.104.22.168.
- Change the secondary DNS to 22.214.171.124.
Smart DNS is capable of tricking your location on streaming devices, game consoles, and smart TVs, but it doesn’t encrypt data like a full VPN. While using the Smart DNS feature, your IP address is not masked, and therefore, all of your activity is transparent to third parties and your ISP.
So, you shouldn’t use the Smart DNS feature for sensitive and personal information because it won’t protect you from ISP throttling when streaming or gaming. The Smart DNS can be used to change the region on streaming services like Disney+, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video.
Setting up NordVPN using PC
You can set up NordVPN on your PlayStation by sharing your computer’s internet connection. This method involves routing the traffic of your console through your desktop or laptop, where NordVPN is already running.
The VPN app on your PC encrypts PlayStation activity to manage and control which specific server location you want to mask. Connecting your PlayStation with your computer varies with the OS and the internet connection:
- Windows PC over WiFi
- Windows PC over Ethernet
- Mac over Ethernet or WiFi
Windows PC over ethernet:
- Download and install the NordVPN app on your PC.
- Connect your PlayStation to your PC and your PC to the router.
- Go to the ‘Network and Sharing Center.
- Select ‘Change Adapter Settings.
- Right-click on the NordVPN adapter and select ‘Properties.
- Choose the Sharing tab.
- Choose the option ‘Allow other networks to connect using this computer’s internet.
- Under the ‘Home Network Connection’, select your PlayStation and press OK.
- Run NordVPN on your desktop and connect to a server.
Windows PC over WiFi
- Download and install the NordVPN app on your desktop.
- Make sure that your PC has an active WiFi connection.
- Open the command prompt icon as an administrator.
- Confirm the prompt that it can make changes to your desktop.
- Check that you can share your WiFi.
- Configure your WiFi sharing.
- Start WiFi sharing.
- Go to ‘Network and Sharing Center in the control panel.
- Choose the ‘Change Adapter Settings’ icon.
- Find the tab with NordVPN Adapter and then go to its ‘Properties.
- Go to the Sharing tab.
- Select ‘Allow other networks to connect using this computer’s internet.
- Under the ‘Home Networking’ tab, select ‘Local Area Connection or LAN’ and press OK.
- Run the NordVPN app and connect to the server.
Another method is to start a hotspot from your desktop and then connect your PlayStation to it.
Mac over WiFi
- Download and install the NordVPN app.
- Connect your Mac with the router using an ethernet.
- On the Mac, go to System Preferences > Sharing > Internet Sharing.
- Choose ‘NordVPN’ under the ‘Share your connection’ option.
- Choose WiFi under the ‘To computers using’ option.
- Select ‘WiFi Options’ and insert a network name.
- In the Security menu, select WPA2 Personal and insert a password.
- Choose the checkbox next to the ‘Internet Sharing’ icon.
- Open the NordVPN app and connect to a server.
Setting up NordVPN using router
Installing the NordVPN app on your router will provide VPN services to every device in the local area network, including the gaming consoles like your PlayStation. You will be able to utilize the blazing-fast speed for gaming, streaming, and browsing on your PlayStation.
The best way to set up NordVPN on a router is to buy and install a router with the VPN already included in it. The cost of this pre-flashed router will be a minimum of $150. If you are ready to pay this price, it is the easiest way to enjoy VPN services instead of setting up a VPN router manually.
Not every router is compatible with NordVPN. So, be careful to select the router that supports the OpenVPN protocols. NordVPN is not compatible with the older router that supports PPTP or L2TP/IPsec. Some routers require you to change the firmware on the router to OpenWRT or DD-WRT. Whereas most Asus routers offer OpenVPN services straight out of the box.
NordVPN is a good choice for PlayStation
NordVPN is an excellent option to hide your IP address from other users, stopping your ISP from restricting your activity, and access geo-blocked content on PlayStation. NordVPN is tested for its high speed and this VPN ensures to keep you secure and private online.
NordVPN is one of the best VPN services available and is excellent for browsing, streaming, and gaming on the PlayStation.
Fast Connection Speeds
High speed is one of the top preferences when choosing a VPN for online games. Two factors help us consider the best option:
Ping Time: It is the measure of how long it takes for the data to travel from the device to the gaming server and then back again. A low ping time means the gaming speed is snappy. Ping time is measured in milliseconds(ms). A ping time of more than 100ms will cause the game to lag and provide slow gaming.
Download Speed: It is the measure of how quickly the data travels from the gaming server to your device. Downloading speed is measured in Megabits per second (Mbps).
A wide range of VPNs are tested regularly for several features, including the connection speed. Based on the latest round of tests, NordVPN is one of the best and fastest VPNs available in the market. NordVPN has always satisfied its customers by fulfilling all the desired requirements of its users.
A VPN enhances and improves gaming and streaming on a PlayStation by masking your identity from other gamers. It also increases the performance levels and sometimes the speed as well.
A VPN will help you unblock censored websites and streaming content that is not available in your region. All these services are offered by one of the most reliable tools available in the market known as NordVPN.